Wednesday 13 January 2010

Still snowing here in the glorious hills of Derbyshire. Can't get to meeting in Shropshire so will have to join colleagues in local cafe for hot soup instead.

I really think I should hate this snow but I don't.

It's made everyone slow down, talk to each other and take time to appreciate what we have around us. Our local shops are saying it's like Christmas Eve every day as people shop there instead of struggling to supermarkets, the streets are less litter-strewn because a can of fizzy drink shows up like a belisha beacon in the whiteness of the snow, people look less stressed because they can't go anywhere. As my husband and daughter struggled off to work down our skating rink drive this morning, I know there are downsides, but overall, it's been fun!

I have, however, had the heating on more but I'm driving less so does that let me off?

It has made me smile though, when the first snows came, everyone panicked but now, as we've had almost constant snow since before Christmas, we've adapted to it and just get on with life.

Meanwhile, in the environmental world, we now have our first marine conservation area http://http://www.edie.net/news/news_story.asp?src=nl&id=17514 which I think is a great idea. Can't wait for the guided tours!

Take time to make a snowman and wear studded boots.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's all very well this environmentally friendly bit. I am feeding the birds, putting out all my compost, recycling everything else and separating blue, green and brown bins which haven't been collected yet because of the holiday period, it will be next week they say.
So what has all eco friendly, environmentally aware, smug green attitude brought me? - RATS!
Thank you green world.

no green hair shirts here said...

Lovely, cuddly rats. Lucky you. There's a four legged friend of yours who would love to visit and check them out for you!