Monday 4 January 2010

I watched part of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee the other night ( rest to be watched tonight) and it was horrific how we just walked over the Native Americans to get our own way and then I got a campaign leaflet from the Co-op urging us to stop the expansion of Toxic Fuels....it's being fought by the Cree Indians at Beaver Lake and I couldn't believe it....here we go again!

It's a campaign with WWF-UK and it aims to combat the global trend of extracting oil from unconventional sources, such as tar sands and shale oil.

The tar sands development in Beaver Creek in Canada have already destroyed the Cree Nation's traditional lands by deforestation and pollution and the Beaver Lake Cree Nation have launched a legal challenge against the Canadian and Albertan governments to enforce recognition of their treaty rights and to protect their environment and traditional way of life.

I cried when I read the book about what we did to the Indians in America. I thought the least I could do was have a look at goodwithmoney.co.uk/beaverlakecree and see whether I can add my voice. Do join me!

That's a very positive start to 2010, Shirley! Hope I can keep it up.

No comments: