Monday 23 November 2009

Will my tea leaves save the planet?

I had a wry smile this morning as I was told off by Chicken Licken for putting tea leaves down the sink.

As I scooped up the said 26 tea leaves and transferred them smugly to the compost bin, I wondered whether it would make any difference to Main St, Cockermouth. I suspect not.

But then I thought of 26 tea leaves multiplied by the 2000 houses in my town. That's ( hang on, while I get the calculator...no, you silly woman, you can do that even if you didn't get maths O' level) so that's 52,000.

On a roll now, let's multiply that by 26 million for all the households in the UK and that's (ok, now I really do need the calculator) that's 676,000000. And the world? AGGGHHHH .. I start to lose track of the noughts now...but let's see..nope, can't do it..but there are 6.7 billion people in the world, so that's a phenomenal amount of tea leaves not going to landfill.-- ok, so some people drink coffee and some can't even get access to clean drinking water but you follow my drift.

We now clog up our back kitchen with stuff for recycling, empty our compost bin every few days before dodgy smells pervade the kitchen and our waste bin is only about half a bag a week. If we all do that, then we won't need to dig as many holes for landfill.

Sorted!

Just like to say to Chicken Licken that driving to work just 'cos it's raining negates all concerns about tea leaves!

Maxim for this wet Monday: We cannot all do great things but we can do small things with great love.

Just as well I really loved scooping out wet, soggy tea leaves from the plughole!

No comments: