Tuesday 3 November 2009

Barn's burnt down....now I can see the moon ( Masahide)

I have a problem. I can't be pessimistic about the future of this planet.

It is too easy as an environmentalist to be surrounded by gloom, doom, disaster and gnashing of teeth but somehow, I felt incredibly chirpy when I walked my dog on the field behind our house this morning. The sun was shining, the colours were beautiful and, even as I picked up a plastic bottle that had been left on the path to put in my recycling bin ( no bother, Mr Idiot, who left it there), I couldn't help but think that life is good.

I bought a card for my husband, who has, it may have been mentioned, Chicken Licken tendencies, ( from now on, he will be known on this blog as Chicken Licken or even CL if I'm in a rush) and it had the lovely philosophy on the front. I am getting it framed. It sums up how I feel about life, the planet and the universe. We are a resourceful species and, without being complacent, we can treat this climate change situation more of an opportunity rather than a threat.

So, I have decided that the voice of this blog will be an optimistic one.

If you want the doom, gloom and disaster, look elsewhere, I want to find the good news that will make us all feel better about doing our little bit. I believe that people will be more likely to make the changes we all need to change if they feel there is hope.

Each time I post a blog, I promise I will find something that will make you feel better about what you are doing in your little corner of the world to be greener.

And there are so many positives to this: if we turn off lights, we don't have to earn as much and we can spend more on lovely goodies at our local farmers' market. Sounds fun to me!

Yesterday, I heard about a scheme in the US that is turning algae into oil. Finally, real money is being put into developing something that find an alternative to oil: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8338164.stm

Al Gore's sequel to "An Inconvenient Truth", out today, (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/02/al-gore-our-choice-environment-climate) emphasises we should all have a more spiritual approach to climate change. What? More time spent appreciating what we have in this beautiful world rather than racing round the shopping mall. Bring it on!!

World Wildlife Fund are hosting a seminar this week looking at our use of water (http://www.prweb.com/releases/wwf_water-security/climate-change/prweb3150544.htm) any chance we could stop putting drinking water in our toilets then?

I'm off now to pick the last of the beans.

Smile! It may not save the planet, but it might save you frowny wrinkles!

No comments: